Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Mozilla-Build

Trying to build Mozilla was as big a challenge as the size of the actual code. I spent several hours trying to build the code on the school's machine. This was just to conserve on my bandwidth usage at home since it is limited.There were a whole host of challenges.

After figuring out how to get certain programs downloaded and installed which included installing some on my USB, I was finally able to run the Mozilla-build shell. Wow, this was a major hurdle which came with hours of research. On the positive side, I gained several hour additional knowledge and practice. I basically had to figure out a way to tell the start program, where to find Visual Studio since it had a problem doing so. I did it by adding the "NOT" and including the direct path the script:

if NOT "%VC10DIR%" == "" (.......

)
) else (
call "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Bin\vcvars32.bat"
)

I was able to cross the python hurdle and a few others including the line ending, I reached a point where the windows compiler was causing an error. At this point I had to refuel. I asked on IRC with just one response which did not help.

...........
cd obj-i686-pc-mingw32
/c/Temp/mozilla-central/configure
loading cache ./config.cache
checking host system type... i686-pc-mingw32
checking target system type... i686-pc-mingw32
checking build system type... i686-pc-mingw32
checking for mawk... no
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for perl5... no
checking for perl... /bin/perl
checking for gcc... cl
checking whether the C compiler (cl ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot creat
e executables.
*** Fix above errors and then restart with "make -f client.mk buil
d"
make[2]: *** [configure] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/c/Temp/mozilla-central'
make[1]: *** [obj-i686-pc-mingw32/Makefile] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/Temp/mozilla-central'
make: *** [build] Error 2


What I am actually going to do now is to put the files onto my local machine and continue from there. I know I will eventually build it.

No comments:

Post a Comment